The editors and lead authors for part two of the DCP3 volume on Childhood and Adolescent Development (Volume 3) met to discuss draft chapter outlines and synergies across various chapters. Authors represented organizations such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, The World Bank, Results for Development, Oxford University, and others. The two-day meeting was held in Palm Springs, California on February 12-13, 2014. The objectives of the meeting were to:
Share information regarding Volume 3 Part 2 outlines; discuss integration and synergies across chapters.
Identify specific new work on child and adolescent development and create a holistic paradigm regarding cognitive, physical and emotional growth.
Integrate existing evidence into an agreed upon paradigm, and identify and address gaps in research.
Meeting attendees received further guidance on chapter preparation from the DCPN Secretariat and developed clear next steps for completing chapter drafts. Draft chapters for Volume 3 will be available on the DCP3 website in the fall of 2014.
- Donald Bundy: Volume 3 Overview
- Daniel Plaut: The School as a Platform for Education and Child Development
- George Patton: Cognitive-Affective Growth in Adolescence
- Harold Alderman: Proposed Framework for Chapter 4: Physical Growth and Child and Adolescent Development
- Kristie Watkins: Growth in School-Age Children
- Lia Fernald: Evidence of the Effects of Interventions on Early Child Development and Later Cognitive and Educational Outcomes
- Susan Sawyer: Adolescent Growth: Beyond the 1,000 Day Window
- Zulfiqar Bhutta: Adolescent Health and Nutrition Interventions
Volume 3 author Zulfiqar Bhutta discusses the importance of interventions for adolescent girls.
Volume 3 author Lia Fernald speaks about cognitive growth in 0-3 year olds.